Modified on: Mon, 2 May, 2022 at 10:42 AM
Burst SMS allows for custom domains to be set for use with our Tracked Link feature. Watch this video for a quick summary of Tracked Links if you're unfamiliar with their benefits and why they're far beneficial to other link shorteners, such as Bit.ly.
Below are steps for setting up your custom domain if you don't wish to use the default TapThi.Is/abc123. Here are some examples from other commercial brands:
- Huffington Post: huff.to/a1b2c3
- Starbucks: sbux.co/a1b2c3
- Google: goo.gl/a1b2c3
- Pepsi: pep.si/a1b2c3
- YouTube: youtu.be/a1b2c3
1. Navigate to Settings in your Burst SMS account and scroll down to the bottom of the screen.
2. Update the DNS records for your domain to include an A record which points your desired domain to the IP address displayed on the page. This should be a subdomain apart from your website, not the home page URL.
3. Once the DNS change has been made, enter your domain in the Custom Domain field and click connect. The platform will then check to see whether the connection to the domain can be established. If successful, a "Domain is connected" message will be displayed. If not, "Invalid domain or domain not connected" will be displayed.
4. After verifying that the domain has been successfully connected, and while the domain is still in the Custom Domain field, click the blue Update Profile button at the bottom of the page to save your settings.
Once saved, you are able to begin using the Tracked Link feature as normal and your custom domain will replace the default TapTh.is tracked link domain. The Burst SMS system will automatically adjust the placeholder character count of your tracked links on the character counter in the Send SMS screen to your new domain length.
- Solutions Article and Video demonstration: How to view your SMS statics
Blog: What is a Tracked Link - New branded Tracked Links (with examples)
- Blog: Zapier update - New Tracked Links for Send SMS action and new Link Hit trigger
- Blog: Build your own Google Data Studio Dashboard (with instructions)