Modified on: Mon, 2 May, 2022 at 3:16 PM
Select Your List
If you're new to the Burst SMS platform, we highly recommend you watch our 2 minute video and Quick Start Guide
1. Click the SEND SMS button.
2. Choose the destination list from the TO drop-down menu.
1. Select DEFINE A NEW SENDER ID.
2. Enter an alphanumeric name for your BUSINESS NAME and click ACTIVATE.
NB: Please keep in mind that if you use a name the recipient will not be able to reply to the message.
An ALPHANUMERIC SENDER ID cannot be replied to and can have a maximum of 11 characters. Only letters, numbers, underscore, hyphens and spaces are allowed, and all will be included in the total character count.
This is not available to New Zealand due to restrictions in place by New Zealand carriers.
3. Select Use Shared Number - Replies to Account to use the shared long code.
Our LONG CODES can be used to automatically unsubscribe recipients out of your lists. This makes it easy to manage lists and be compliant with SPAM standards. Selecting Shared Number adds the STOP command shown above. You can also receive direct replies to your campaign that appear next to your campaign and can be exported. Responses are displayed in your reports and inbox.
Getting Replies to Email
If you would like to receive replies to email, please see the instructions here.
Create Your Message
1. Enter your MESSAGE.
Character count: One SMS is 160 characters but you can enter up to 621. If your message is over 160 characters in length you will be charged for 2 SMS sends. Spaces are counted as 1 character and returns are counted as 2 characters. For more information regarding character length, please review our article on Character Count.
2. Add custom variables and personalise your message.
Click 'FirstName' to insert a recipient's first name into the message. Or select 'LastName', or another custom variable. When using any of these, the character count total will be an estimate only. Make sure you allow enough characters to cater for the longest variable, such as the longest name in your recipient list, otherwise a message may be charged as two sent messages.
For more information about how variables are counted read here. Personalising your SMS message is highly recommended. To read the benefits of personalisation click here.
Note: only Firstname and Lastname variables can be used for Quick SMS favourites however.
1. Save as a template. Just click SAVE to add it to the drop down menu.
To delete a template, just select it from the drop down and click the DELETE button.
1. SCHEDULE your message if you want to send it on the future. Time zone will be according to your account settings. When sending internationally, be sure to check the time zone in each country. It is wise to segment your recipients by time zone to ensure sending doesn't occur at very late hours.
Once done you , click 'Next'.
Review & Send
1. You will see a cost estimate below, click SHOW DETAILS beneath your cost estimate to review a breakdown of your costs. This will also let you know if any messages are over the character count when using the custom variables.
Click CLOSE then NEXT to move to the sending confirmation screen.
2. After reviewing your message you will now be able to send your message. If you do not have enough credit to send the message you will need to ADD CREDIT. This button can also be found in the top right of your screen.
Paying For Your Messages
1. CHOOSE AN AMOUNT from the drop-down menu. The fee for using all credit cards is 1.9%. We can take other payment options for large amounts.
2. On new accounts we have a credit limit to mitigate our loss should we get a fraudulent credit card on the system. Click INCREASE LIMIT to apply for more.
1. To credit your account select a preset amount, fill in the details and click ADD CREDIT.
1. Now that you have credit you can send messages anytime by hitting the SEND button.